Cyfeillion Cadw Tremadog

Friends of Tremadog

Projects of Cyfeillion Cadw Tremadog

St Mary's Church Completed

View Project
Project to Restore Saint Mary's Church in Tremadog

Tremadog Tannery

View Project
Cyfeillion Cadw Tremadog was originally founded in 1991 because the Tannery (originally a Loomhall or Loomery) was threatened with demolition. It is one of the earliest purpose-built industrial buildings in Wales, Listed grade II*.

It was approaching completion in 1806. A Woollen Mill stood next to it until sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s, when it was demolished though also Listed. The whole complex originally included a fulling mill, sawmill and cornmill. The power to drive the machinery came from a lake formed in the hills above Tremadog, and the dams, catchponds and leats are still traceable.

The Loomery became a tannery by the 1830s. Tanning ceased in Tremadog during WWII. A Laundry had started on part of the site early in the 1900s, and this expanded, using the former Tannery building as a Dry Cleaners until sometime in the 1960s when the old building was condemned by the Factory Inspectorate.

The building fell into disuse. Industrial buildings were not eligible for historic building repair grants at that date although the building had been Listed in 1951. The laundry closed in 1980. The site was then used for carbreaking until about 1985. It was then purchased by a developer.

A WDA-funded investigation in 1993 into the pollution of the site showed that it is likely to be too contaminated to be used for housing. The local authority carried out emergency repairs to the roofs of the tannery and the adjacent house Bron Haul in 1994.

The trust developed a Business Plan and obtained statutory consents for the conversion and extension of the former tannery into a Madocks museum and visitor centre on the Ground Floor, with the upper floors as small workshop/offices for let. The trust was working to raise full funding for the project when the Local Authority tried to recover its costs in carrying out emergency repairs, the site was put on the market and purchased by another developer in 2000, but to date no major work has been carried out.
© 2017 Cyfeillion Cadw Tremadog :: An AreArt Website