St. Mary's Church Project
CCT Receives the green light from the Heratige Lottery Fund for major repair and conversion works on St. Mary's Church, Tremadog
20 September 2005
The church is one of the earliest buildings in the planned town of Tremadog, and was completed in 1811. It was paid for by William Alexander Madocks, founder of Tremadog as was the Coadestone arch that forms the lychgate to the site. Each is listed Grade II*.
The church was closed in 1995. The trust since worked to find a new use that will continue to benefit the community without competing within existing community projects or local businesses. The building will be converted to form offices and a large meeting room and will be used by a charity as its local administrative and training centre. The grounds will be used by the charity, and will remain accessible to the community.
The work of repair and conversion has started on site. The trust has raised just over £1million including VAT to date but there is still a shortfall of about £50,000 that the trust needs to raise urgently to ensure that the project can be completed fully.